Research Informationist in Life Science and Science Data
(August 11, 2021)
Position Title - Research Informationist in Life Science and Science Data
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.) - Executive Director of Library and Archives
Position Type - Full-time, permanent
Benefits - Yes
Salary Range - $56,000 - $65,000
Are you a trained scientist looking to step away from the bench, but want to stay involved with the research community? The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library & Archives seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, and enthusiastic Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data to join our team of information professionals supporting research at the forefront of cancer, neuroscience, genomics, quantitative biology, and plant biology. We are seeking a candidate that has a passionate interest in current life sciences research and experience in science communication.
The candidate will work with CSHL researchers to provide expert guidance and instruction on research data management including implementation in grant proposals, the creation and application of metadata standards, data analysis and data visualization.
The ideal applicant will become an effective asset to our research teams and improve research output at CSHL. The Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data reports to the Executive Director of the Library & Archives.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Lead the Laboratory’s Open Science and Open Access initiatives
· Create and support the campus infrastructure for findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability (FAIR) standards for scientific data
· Support rigor, reproducibility and integrity efforts
· Train and consult with researchers on research data management plans
· Investigate research practices and remain current with information resources related to data planning, use, organization, management, storage, and curation
· Provide metrics on CSHL scholarly output
· Create and maintain external and internal institutional faculty profiles such as Elements, ORCID, Google Scholar, etc.
· Serve as liaison to our research laboratories by forging relationships with faculty and researchers
· Provide services throughout the research life cycle in all 5 of CSHL’s key subject areas
· Provide expertise in utilizing databases such as PubMed, NCBI, Scopus, and Web of Science
· Participate in a new project incorporating artificial intelligence and our library
· Help facilitate science journal club program for high school students
· Supervise and mentor interns
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Advanced degree in life science, data science, or computer science
· 1-3 years’ experience working in an academic environment
· Familiarity with research and teaching information needs in the life sciences
· Must be strongly computer literate
· Knowledge of the publication process in the sciences
· Familiarity and skill with, and the ability to train others on the various platforms provided by the Library, including research information management systems, databases (PubMed, Scopus, etc.), etc.
· Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
· Excellent interpersonal, multitasking, verbal, and written communication skills
· Demonstrated strength in statistical analysis and methods
· Data visualization skills
· Knowledge of programming languages such as R, SPSS, or Python
· Familiarity with a variety of life-science topics
· Experience in machine learning
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/17929