(September 27, 2021)
Position Title - Archives Manager
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.) - Director of Archives and Publications
Position Type - Part-time,permanent
Benefits - No
Hourly wage range - $20 - $25
R & Company is the pre-eminent design gallery in New York City, representing contemporary artists as well as a wealth of important vintage furniture and design objects. The gallery presents 7-10 exhibitions annually in its Tribeca locations and participates in international design fairs in the United States and abroad.
Within R & Company, we hold an important and extensive non-circulating library and archival collection, covering the history of art, design, and architecture from circa 1900 to the present. The general library includes many rare and out-of-print titles, with specialties in international design overviews from 1950-60, period pamphlets, and catalogs. In the archives and special collections, R & Company holds a significant range of materials, such as the estate of Greta Magnusson Grossman, a drawings collection, a vast collection of periodicals, photographs, and ephemera, an AV media collection, and many other rare resources related to the history of modern design.
R & Company seeks an inquisitive and collaborative individual to serve as Archives Manager to the gallery’s library and archives. Qualified candidates will have experience processing archival materials, appropriate knowledge and practiced application of archival theory and best practices.
- Manage processing, digitalization, and storage of archival materials
- Review and update information for archived items
- Prepare finding aids for internal and external users
- Schedule, welcome, and assist researchers by appointment
- Purchase and index new books for the R library
- Perform an annual audit of the library and the archives
- Oversee loans of archival material for museum exhibitions
- Respond to rights and reproduction requests for image inquiries
- Master’s degree from an accredited college in library science, archives management, or a related field; or a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and at least one year full-time professional experience in archival, records management, or library work
- Advanced organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team and independently
- Capable of lifting cartons up to 40 pounds
- Familiarity and interest in design history
- Experience in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience in FileMaker
- Ability to restore paper works
This is a part-time position (15-20 hours per week, flexible during weekdays and eventual Saturdays). Compensation is $25/hour.
Please email cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references addressed to Mina Warchavchik Hugerth, Director of Archives and Publications: email@example.com. Candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone call please. R & Company is an equal opportunity employer.
The start date is November 15.