(January 15, 2022)
Position Title - Paper Conservator
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.) - Head of Preservation, Conservation
Position Type - Part-time, term
Benefits - Yes
Salary Range - $56,000 - $65,000
Hourly wage range - $31 - $35
The New York City Municipal Archives Conservation Unit seeks a paper conservator for a 4-day/week term position of up to 3 years. The successful candidate will participate in a grant-funded project to conserve a collection of drawings detailing the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. The paper conservator will use standard methods to assess and document condition, formulate and implement appropriate treatments with a high degree of independence, and document their work in accordance with AIC standards. Treatments may include: dry and aqueous cleaning, adhesive and tape removal, stain reduction and solvent treatment, humidifying and flattening, lining, and mending using appropriate adhesives.
Minority candidates encouraged to apply. Please submit applications by 1/27/22.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A Masters degree from an accredited college in Library Science, Archival Science, American History, Political Science, or a related area; or
2. A baccalaureate degree form an accredited college and one year full-time professional experience in archival, records management or library work; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have the baccalaureate degree from an accredited college.
1. A Master's degree in Paper Conservation, or equivalent training and experience;
2. Demonstrated knowledge and skill in the analysis and treatment of paper-based materials;
3. Experience with creating and implementing treatment plans and completing before, during, and after treatment documentation in accordance with AIC standards;
4. Ability to plan, prioritize, manage time appropriately, and meet deadlines;
5. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, and the ability to work well as part of a team;
6. Ability to stand for hours at a time, lift and transport up to 35lbs, and work in areas that may include exposure to dust and/or mold
Grant Funded Position
Click "Apply Now" https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U
NO E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS, FAXES OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED. NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET (OMB) APPROVAL.
Part-time. Due to the necessary duties of this position, candidate may be required to be on call and/or work various shifts such as weekends and/or evening shifts.
31 Chambers Street, Manhattan and offsite facility in Sunset Park, Brooklyn
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.