Digital Archives Assistant
(January 6, 2023)
Position Title - Digital Archives Assistant
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.)- Digital Archivist & Archives Manager
Position Type - Part-time, term
Benefits - No
Hourly wage range - $25 - $30
ABOUT HAUSER & WIRTH INSTITUTE
Hauser & Wirth Institute is a non-profit, private foundation dedicated to transforming the ﬁeld of artists’ archives by nurturing equity and innovation and increasing access to archives. Operating independently of commercial interests, HWI provides grants for progressive archival projects and education, fosters networks locally and internationally and organizes public programming that enlivens and expands conversations around artistic legacies.
Hauser & Wirth Institute is seeking a tech-savvy Digital Archives Assistant to support processing of born-digital materials in an artist’s archive. They will primarily assist the Digital Archivist & Archives Manager with processing and preservation activities for born-digital content stored on optical media. The position will require onsite work at our processing facility in Long Island City.
The Digital Archives Assistant’s responsibilities will include:
- Assessing and transferring digital content on optical media through disk imaging, file copying, or ripping, according to established processing workflows and guidelines
- Processing digital content using BitCurator reporting tools and other software
- Describing digital content in ArchivesSpace and Google Sheets according to archival best practices
- Documenting processing activities and tracking project progress
- Participating in documenting and improving processing workflows
The position will be 2 days per week between Monday and Friday, from mid-February 2023 through December 2023.
- Understanding of the principles of archival arrangement and description
- Familiarity with archival metadata standards
- Strong computer skills and ability to execute commands in the command line
- Willingness to learn new tools
- Academic or professional experience with digital preservation
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational, communication, and research skills
- Ability to work independently while following workflows and guidelines with minimal supervision after initial training period
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances
- Master’s in library or information science, MA with a concentration in archives, or experience working in archives
- Experience working with artists’ archives and/or an interest in artists’ archives
- Experience using ArchivesSpace and/or BitCurator
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the position title in the email subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Hauser & Wirth Institute is an equal opportunity employer. The Institute does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. We are committed to hiring and promoting individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT
As a condition of employment, the individual hired for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, barring a valid exemption. The individual must provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date.
Email resume and cover letter as a single PDF to email@example.com. Please include your name and the position title in the email subject line.